Heart of Homeschooling

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Enthusiastically Expecting

We found out a week and a half ago that we are expecting another blessing from the Lord. We are so excited and feel so blessed and thankful that the Lord would choose us to be parents again. We are praying that this baby grows to full term and is born healthy and happy and strong. I have an incredible peace about this baby (or babies) with the affirmation that this life was planned since the beginning of time and whatever happens is in the Lord's hands. The due date is July 26, the day before Emily's birthday ;). 


Probably the biggest challenge that Wes and I have been facing right now is the lack of enthusiasm and excitement over conception that we see within our Christian community. We have some old friends that rejoice with us, but many look at us like we are crazy. 


Yet, when we look at the Bible we see so many examples from Hannah, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth, and more where women and men look at having children as an incredible blessing and honor. We see women and married couples in the Bible looking at barrenness as a curse from the Lord and that the lack of children is as horrible as death. 


Psalm 127:3-6 says:  


Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.



And in Psalm 128:3-4 it says: 


Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
around your table.
Yes, this will be the blessing
for the man who fears the LORD.



We see so many verses that prove children are a blessing (which is more meaningful than just a gift) from the Lord. The Bible is the same yesterday and today! If you believe the Bible, then you would believe that children are a blessing. Yet, in our world today, in homes where Christ is the center of the home, countless married couples look at children as a curse (or a problem)...the opposite of how God sees. The OPPOSITE of how God sees. 


It can be obvious when married couples view children as a "curse" when they choose to hold off children with birth control or not to have any at all. But, I believe the subtle attitude is just as dangerous. This is where Satan works hardest and we see this most in how parents talk about their children or their attitude towards children in general. Instead of speaking positively about their children to others, they speak down about their children or having children. Lately I have been noticing this more often and my heart breaks when I hear the critical, negative, gossipy type talk that I hear parents say about their blessings. I hear it when they say things like..."oh it's so nice to be out without the hassle of the kids!" or "I can't wait to get the kids to bed so I can do what I want" or "I wish they would hurry up and grow up" or when they talk about how they can't afford any more kids because they cost too much, or it's too much energy to deal with the problems of having children, and more. The list goes on. When we talk disrespectively about a blessing that God has given us, it is sin. Plain and simple. We are talking disrespectively to God when we talk about our children that way - or even think it! 


What can we do when we feel negatively towards our children? We all face struggles. Life is definitely more full and more challenging with children. What does God want us to do when we face any kind of hardship or struggle? He wants us to get on our knees and turn to Him. We must learn to cry out to God instead of trying to solve our "problem" on our own. He has the answers even to the smallest issues like when to potty train your two year old or when to teach your 5 year old to read. We must go to the Lord.


I can testify with my whole heart that because I have surrendered my life to Jesus and especially this area of having as many children as God wants to give us, it has deepened my relationship with the Lord more than I could have ever imagined. It has caused me to understand Him more, rely on Him more, trust Him more, love Him more, and want Him more than ever and I am so thankful for that sweet surrender. I am by no means perfect and I fail often and in many ways, but I am continually learning to be the Mommy God wants me to be...thanks to Jesus. I have to go to the Lord daily and pray for his guidance and wisdom. But, I am changed and have learned this only because of learning to surrender to Him. 


So, it has been a struggle for Wes and I to find friends who can rejoice in our news and understand fully what we understand in how God sees children. We are praying for more friends who can rejoice with us. 


Until then, we are rejoicing together and our children are so excited at the thought of another Carpenter baby. Thank you Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for a healthy, happy baby
    You have a beautiful family.
    Greatly blessed
    Each child is unique
    It must be an interesting dynamic in the Carpenter home. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog