Heart of Homeschooling

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Friday, January 13, 2012

Don't be afraid to go to the Doctor!

Well...it has been quite a while since I've had the energy and time to write. Even now, I'm struggling with wanting to get to bed. But, my desire is to keep this blog as an encouragement to my children and to log memories for us to look back on. So...I wanted to bring you up to date.

First the sad news...We had our third miscarriage just before Christmas. It was so sudden and very surprising that it is still hard to believe. We were all very sad. We know that we will see all three babies in Heaven one day and that they are in the arms of Jesus right now. We will miss not getting to watch them grow and hear them laugh and just be a part of our everyday lives though and wonder what it would have been like to have them here with us. We pray that we will be blessed with more children to add to our family, but if not, we are content with the wonderful seven that are here in our home right now. How precious they all are and how wonderful it is to enjoy each moment that we have to spend together. I love you all!

Now, the good news...After miscarrying I was talking with a friend who shared with me that she had two healthy babies and then miscarried 4 babies. Her doctor ran a bunch of blood tests on her and one came back with the news that she had a blood clotting problem that kept nutrients from reaching the fetus. So, with the help of medicine to thin her blood she was able to have two more healthy pregnancies and babies. This news encouraged me to see a new doctor who suggested some blood tests which led to me finding out that I have a very similar disorder! It's called MTHFR DNA mutation. Crazy name, huh? I was shocked, but also elated to find out that I could do something about it. I was so worried I would lose more babies and then find out years down the road that I could have done something. So, my "treatment" is to take baby aspirin and also a high dose of folic acid and B vitamins. The mutation doesn't let my body assimilate folic acid and B vitamins and also causes my blood to clot. So, the newly formed embryo then does not receive vital nutrients it needs to develop properly and grow. There are also other things I need to learn and try not to worry about like the fact that this might increase my risk of heart disease and stroke. But, that all could be preventable and treatable by taking the baby aspirin and other medicine for the rest of my life...at least I found out now!!! So, I am praising the Lord that he directed my path to my friend sharing and leading me to the right doctor who ordered the right tests. Thank you Lord!

The moral of this story is...Don't be afraid to go to the doctor :)

3 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    You have a beautiful family! I am so sorry for your losses. Did your OB say if you were heterozygous or homozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism? Either way, you have a limited ability to break down synthetic folic acid (the type of folate found in ordinary supplements as well as enriched foods). This puts you at risk for folate deficiency related pregnancy complications. I work with NeevoDHA, a prenatal specifically indicated for women with MTHFR. It contains active L-methylfolate as an alternative to synthetic folic acid. L-methylfolate bypasses the MTHFR mutation. It is something simple and safe you can do to be certain folate deficiency caused by MTHFR is not an issue for you.

    Best of luck to you. I am completely jealous of your large family and in awe of homeschooling moms. I wish I was so brave. I will keep you in my prayers for a happy and healthy pregnancy in the near future. l enzymes as well as sufficient supplies of niacin, B6, riboflavin, vitamin C, and zinc. This process is compromised in women with the MTHFR mutation. Taking L-methylfolate is a simple and safe way to be certain your folate status is adequate while trying to conceive. Best of luck to you Krista. I hope you and your MFM will be able to come up with a strategy that results in a healthy pregnancy in the very near future. I am crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information Holly! I really appreciate it. I did find out that I have one copy and that it starts with a "c" I think. I started Foltabs and baby aspirin this week, but I think it is synthetic. I am going to ask my doctor about Neevo. You are the second person to mention it to me. Do you know how MTHFR affects my health long term? I'm still trying to get an answer on that.
    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,

    I don't know what happened to the end of my post! I think that was two posts combined. Women with MTHFR have been shown to have higher homocysteine levels than women without the mutation. Elevated homocysteine levels have been associated with increased risk of cerebrovascular disease, coronary artery disease, myocardial infarction, and venous thrombosis as well as pregnancy complications. Luckily, taking L-methylfolate is enough to reduce homocysteine concentrations to normal levels in most patients. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog